With so many tools at your disposal, it is hard to understand why some people do not knw whether or not their attorney is a good guy or not.
How to check your attorney's (we will call him "Bobby Lawyer") reputation:
1. Google "Bobby Lawyer complaints"
2. Check the state bar website. This will tell you (in Florida) only if he is a member of the bar--and if he has any disciplinary history it will show here -- here it is http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/flabarwe.nsf
3. go to http://avvo.com and find your lawyer -- this is a website that allows lawyers and clients to post their thoughts on practicing attorneys. You cannot pay to have a better rating, nor can you influence the site by advertising.
4. Talk to your friends, family and others you know, and see if anyone knows about this lawyer.
5. Ask many questions of your lawyer when you meet him. If he is insecure in the least about his knowledge of the subject you are discussing, he will be upset that you dare to question him.
By following these simple steps, you can most likely find out if hiring the lawyer you are considering is a good or bad idea. Good luck!